The home team had carried the day during the first four games of the season series between the Richardson Pioneer Weyburn Red Wings and the Yorkton Terriers. The Red Wings were looking to break that trend Monday night when they travelled to the Westland Insurance Arena in Yorkton. The Terriers, however, would continue the trend, picking up a 5-3 victory.

The 384 fans at the game were treated to a flurry of activity throughout the first two periods, with seven of the game’s eight goals being scored in that span.

“A lot of good things in the first couple periods,” said Red Wings head coach Cody Mapes. “We’re kind of running into a wall in the last few minutes of every second period here. We’ve got to make sure we stay focused and continue to do the things that are giving us success before that.”

The first goal of the game was scored at the 12:12 mark of the first period when Erik Boers found the back of the net for the Terriers to give him the lead. The lead for the Terriers would be short-lived, though, as Weyburn answered back with a goal of their own.

Colby Feist brought the puck into the attacking zone on the right wing, and passed it over to Kirk Mullen, Mullen would then flip it over to Davis Chorney who put the puck into the twine behind Tresor Wotton at the 13:54 mark.

The Red Wings would then take the lead on a goal that some of the fans in the arena thought should have been waved off.

Mi-Kwan Tallman brought the puck into the attacking zone, getting around three Yorkton defenders. He put the puck on the net, and the original save was made by Wotton. Then a second effort was made by Tallman, pushing the puck in. The follow-through on the second shot would end up dislodging the helmet of Wotton, but not before the puck crossed the line to make it a 2-1 game in favour of the Red Wings with 1:23 to play in the opening frame.

The Terriers weren’t deterred, though, and would get a power play in the final minute of the frame. Off the faceoff in the Weyburn zone, the puck was played back to Parker Jasper. His shot from the point was tipped by Boers at the top of the crease past Jackson Fellner to make it a 2-2 game with 30 seconds left in the period.

In the second period, Weyburn wasted little time to retake the lead.

Tallman would take a feed from Sam Skillestad, and rifle the puck on the goal from the right face-off circle. The initial save was made by Wotton, with the rebound ending up right on the stick of Ethan Clements. Facing an open goal, he buried the puck to make it a 3-2 lead.

The Red Wings would then find themselves down a player on the bench when Mullen was hit hard into the boards by Boers inside the Terriers blue line.

Shortly after the hit on Mullen, Kishaun Gervais would score for the Terriers to even up the game with 5:07 to go in the second period. The Terriers would then take the lead 28 seconds later when Karsten Kruska beat Fellner to make it a 4-3 game.

The Terriers would then add an insurance goal at the 6:02 mark of the third.

The Red Wings will be getting set to a matchup with the Estevan Bruins now on Wednesday. The game starts at 7:00 p.m. in Estevan. You’ll be able to catch all the action in the game on Red Wing Radio, BIG 106.