Classes at Weyburn Comprehensive School and Southeast College were disrupted for a short time Friday morning, after a smell of natural gas wafted into the building.
Keith Keating is the superintendent of schools for the west area of the Southeast Cornerstone Public School Division. He explained the procedures and protocols for situations like this were put into place, and worked.
“As a precaution, we called SaskEnergy, and moved the students to the Eagles Gym at the far end of the school,” Keating said. Parents were also notified by phone call as to what occurred at the school. From there the crews from SaskEnergy got to work locating the source of the odour.
Casey McLeod with SaskEnergy said it was quickly located on the supply line, leading up to the rooftop heating unit. The cause of the leak wasn’t uncommon for this time of year.
“There was a small crack in the supply line,” McLeod related. “This can happen sometimes on rooftop units due to the weight of snow, and things like that.”
The students remained in the gymnasium for a portion of the morning, while doors were opened to allow the smell to dissipate. Classes resumed shortly afterwards.